Man shot and killed after confronting couple for taking wife out to drinks in Tomball, deputies say

Charly Edsitty Image
Wednesday, June 15, 2022
Fight about going for drinks sparked fatal Tomball shooting, HCSO says
Deputies said the victim confronted another couple after they allegedly took his wife out drinking. After he was killed, the man's wife was so distraught that she had to be transported to the hospital.

HARRIS COUNTY, Texas (KTRK) -- A man is dead after an argument outside a north Harris County home ended with shots fired overnight.

The shooting happened just before 3 a.m. Wednesday at a home in the 24700 block of Oconee in the Princeton Place subdivision, which is in the Tomball area.

According to Harris County sheriff's deputies, the victim's wife was out drinking with another husband and wife who live nearby. Deputies said the two couples knew each other and were friends.

When she was dropped off early Wednesday morning, her husband -- the victim who was killed -- came outside and got into an argument with the other man, who investigators say is the shooter.

It is believed that the suspect dropped off his wife at their nearby home and returned to the scene with a gun.

Things reportedly got pretty heated, and the suspect pulled out the pistol and fired two rounds, hitting the 41-year-old victim. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

"This husband is upset. He confronts the man for taking his wife out drinking. And then, that's when the shooting occurred," Sgt. Ben Beall said.

After the shooting, deputies said the suspect drove back to his home.

However, the gunman reportedly later returned to the scene, where Harris County Precinct 4 deputies found him when they arrived. He surrendered himself to deputies and was arrested.

A neighbor told ABC13 he heard the gunshots and ran down the street to see what happened.

"I heard something that sounded like a scream and then a gunshot. The screaming got louder, so I grabbed my cellphone," David Geisler said.

He ran to the home and found the victim on the ground with a wound in his stomach. Geisler called 911 and tried to help, but said the the man was not breathing. That's when the suspect came back to the home.

"Just shortly thereafter, a car pulled up and a gentleman got out of the car. They had some words. As far as everything, the screaming going on, I didn't hear what actually took place," Geisler said. "He walked up to me and looked at me and said, 'I shot him.'"

Investigators said they found what they believe to be the gun used in the fatal shooting on the front porch of the suspect's home. The two homes are only one or two miles apart.

Deputies were still taking witness statements and looking for security video. They said the suspect would not give a statement about what happened.

The victim's wife was so distraught that she had to be transported to the hospital, according to deputies.

A car parked in front of the victim's house, possibly belonging to the suspect, was taken away as evidence.

A woman who lives nextdoor told ABC13 she is heartbroken for her neighbors.

"They were my heroes. I live alone and they were always taking care of me. They were great. I'm devastated over the loss of him," Alice Arbing said.

Neighbors said the couple has three children. Their two girls were sleeping in the home at the time of the shooting and left with family. They were not hurt. Their son was not home at the time.

For more on this story, follow Charly Edsitty on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.