Judge sets over $1 million bond for Humble man who fled after allegedly killing his mom

Charly Edsitty Image
Thursday, February 2, 2023
Humble man charged accused of murdering his mom as a teen due in court
Tyler Roenz was 17 years old when police say he fled to Nebraska from Texas and led officers on a chase with his dead mother's body in the trunk. About four months later, he'll appear in court.

HARRIS COUNTY, Texas (KTRK) -- About four months after a teenager was charged with the murder of his own mother, his court date in Harris County was scheduled for Thursday morning, but he was a no-show.

The video above is from a previous report.

Tyler Roenz was just 17 years old when he was arrested in Nebraska after an intense search to find him and his missing mother.

It took several weeks before Tyler, now 18 years old, was extradited to Harris County after he was tracked down hundreds of miles away from Houston.

According to court documents, Tyler was out on a $10,000 bond after being charged in March 2022 with attempted sexual assault that took place in February of that year. He is accused of attacking an 18-year-old girl, causing her to bleed, in his car in a school parking lot.

The victim accused Tyler of ripping her shirt off, kicking and punching her in the face, pulling her hair, and sexually assaulting her in his vehicle.

In court on Thursday, a judge set his bond for that charge to $10,000.

Tyler is also charged with murder and tampering with evidence in the death of his 49-year-old mother, Michelle Roenz.

A judge set his bond for the murder charge to $750,000 and $250,000 bond for the tampering with evidence charge.

Michelle and her son were reported missing back on Oct. 13.

Her husband called police after finding a human tooth and blood inside their Humble home. He also told officers one of their cars was missing.

This prompted a frantic search for the mother and son, and detectives say things got even more disturbing when they found suspicious charges on Michelle's credit card out of Oklahoma and Kansas.

Authorities in other states were notified to keep an eye out for the missing car, which was eventually spotted in Nebraska with Tyler behind the wheel.

The then-teen led police on a chase before eventually crashing. He was seriously injured but survived.

Officers on scene said they found Michelle's body stuffed in the trunk of the car. An autopsy report found she had been strangled and beaten.

Tyler was charged with unauthorized use of a motor vehicle in this incident, and on Thursday a judge set a $50,000 bond for that charge.

For news updates, follow Charly Edsitty on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.