Man arrested after his aunt and grandmother were found murdered in NW Harris Co., sheriff says

Courtney Carpenter Image
Thursday, November 16, 2023
Grandma and mom found dead after 911 call from 12-year-old girl: HCSO
A 12-year-old girl called 911 and said a 25-year-old relative shot her mother and grandmother, deputies said. The women were found dead at two separate scenes.

HARRIS COUNTY, Texas (KTRK) -- A 25-year-old has been arrested after a woman and her mother were found dead at two separate locations in northwest Harris County.

A 12-year-old girl survived and called 911 when the suspect fell asleep, Harris County sheriff's deputies said.

The victims lived at a home on Deep Meadow Drive, but the sheriff's office was first called to the parking lot of an abandoned Chase Bank at on Wortham Blvd. around 11 p.m. Wednesday.

There, Sheriff Ed Gonzalez said deputies found a 66-year-old woman dead. Investigators said she had been shot several times and also had other injuries.

Deputies spoke to a woman who was cleaning one of the nearby businesses. She told them she heard gunshots around 9:30 p.m. and saw a pickup truck drive away. When her son came to pick her up, he went to check the parking lot, found the woman dead, and called authorities.

As deputies were working to figure out what happened, the sheriff's office got a call from a 12-year-old girl who was at a home about four miles away from where the first woman was found dead.

The 12-year-old told 911 that her relative had shot and killed two more family members before sexually assaulting her. She told authorities the attacker was asleep when she called.

When deputies arrived at the home, they found a 42-year-old woman dead in a bedroom and rescued the girl.

The 25-year-old relative surrendered, deputies said. He was reportedly armed with a firearm and a knife when he was arrested.

Investigators said the same white pickup truck seen on surveillance video at the Chase bank was spotted in the driveway of the home on Wortham Boulevard.

It's unclear what exactly led up to the deadly shootings, but deputies said they are familiar with the address.

"There have been numerous calls for service over here to the residence -- some of them including the (man) who was charged, at one point, with criminal trespass over here. We understand that he has some drug issues and is not welcome over here at the house. So how he came to be over at the house this evening, how long this has been going on, we don't know at this point," Sgt. Ben Beall said.

The 12-year-old girl was taken to the hospital.

The investigation is ongoing.

For more news updates, follow Courtney Carpenter on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.