HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- Though the medical examiner lists Maleah Davis' cause of death as homicidal violence, a lot is still unclear about what exactly happened to the 4-year-old girl. One thing that is certain is the lasting impact this tragedy left on Houston.
RELATED: MALEAH DAVIS: 'Homicidal violence' ruled in 4-year-old's death, medical examiner says
"It's our duty as parents to help protect our children, and the way she died was just so horrific. Somebody needed to stand up for her," Shirley Scarpetta said.
Shirley is a sculptor who says something about the tragedy made her feel compelled to sculpt the 4-year-old.
"It's just something that was in my soul. I cried a lot for this story," she said.
Like so many people watching the painful story unfold, Shirley felt a connection to Maleah. When a private donor stepped in to commission the artwork, Shirley says everything fell into place to create this memorial.
The sculpture is not finished yet, it still needs to be cast in bronze. Shirley hopes to find a location to display it.
"In order for her to never be forgotten, for her to be a memorial for others to remind them, let's take care of our future, our babies," Shirley said.
Artwork letting Maleah know she's not forgotten, and reminding us all of our responsibility to protect children.
Follow Steven Romo on Facebook and Twitter.
- Family shares heartbreaking message from 4-year-old at her funeral
- 'My Little Pony' casket donated for Maleah Davis' funeral
- A look inside Maleah's private service that drew hundreds
- Church prays for suspect to confess what happened to Maleah
- Donors kick in $10K more to help find Maleah Davis
- Protesters gather again as family seeks new home for Maleah Davis' siblings
- Mom of missing Maleah Davis makes bombshell allegations against her ex-fiance
- Maleah Davis' mother: 'I want to hope that she is (still alive)'
- Protesters accuse missing girl's mom of not doing enough to protect her
- MALEAH DAVIS: Suspect's dad points finger at missing girl's mom
- Maleah Davis case leaves community with broken hearts
- Car belonging to Maleah Davis' family appears 'normal', yields no clues to her disappearance
- Missing 4-year-old girl removed last year by CPS: Officials
- Suspect's mother won't ask son for Maleah Davis' whereabouts