HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- Bruno the German Shepherd is lucky to be alive. His dad pulled both he and Beanie, a Corgi mix, out of their burning apartment, just as the entire building went up in flames.
Both people and pets were hastily evacuated from the Sedona Square Apartments in Alief just after 12 p.m. on Monday.
The fire began in an upstairs unit in Building 7, but quickly spread to all eight units in the building. About six of the units were occupied by tenants, authorities said.
"This morning, my wife and I were shopping and they called to say the house was on fire," Charles Ireland, who lives in one of the downstairs units, said. "We rushed back. The apartment on top of us was on fire."
Ireland was able to rescue both Bruno and Beanie. "I dragged them out of there," he said. The dogs were among at least three or four that were pulled out of the units.
Shevella Mathews, who was babysitting some relatives and has her niece living with her, was also relieved to get out.
"When I came out, I just saw the fire, everyone was knocking on neighbors' doors. 'Get out! Get out!' They were yelling," she said.
The Houston Fire Department said everyone was safely evacuated. One firefighter had a minor back injury and another got slightly dehydrated. Neither needed medical transport, officials said.