Fireworks blamed for house fire in Highlands

KTRK logo
Sunday, July 4, 2021
EMBED <>More Videos

Investigators with the Harris County Fire Marshal's Office said fireworks weren't properly disposed of when they were placed in a trash can.

HIGHLANDS, Texas (KTRK) -- A massive house fire Saturday night is being blamed on an error involving used fireworks, authorities said.

It happened around 11:30 p.m. in the 200 block of Inwood Lane.

Multiple departments responded to the home to assist Highlands Fire Department crews as they worked to extinguish the fire.

RELATED: What you need to know before shooting fireworks in Harris County on July 4

The home ignited after fireworks were improperly disposed in a plastic trash can, according to the Harris County Fire Marshal's Office.

While no people were injured, a family dog died in the fire.

The home was destroyed by the blaze.

Crews from Crosby, Channelview and Sheldon provided mutual aid.

SEE ALSO: July 4th pet owner guide: Fireworks safety, picnic items to keep out of reach and more tips