Family of 6 used charcoal grill for 4 hours to keep warm inside Cy-Fair area apartment

Tuesday, February 16, 2021
Family of 6 suffers carbon monoxide poisoning from grill
As temperatures dip to dangerously cold extremes, an incident in northwest Harris County is serving as a reminder about what not to do when trying to keep warm.

A family of six, including four children, suffered from possible carbon monoxide poisoning when they were using a charcoal grill to keep warm, Cy-Fair Fire Department said on Monday.

The fire department said the grill may have been burning for about four hours inside an apartment in the 8500 block of Easton Commons Drive. Smoked filled the apartment, Eyewitness News learned from the scene.

The family, including children ranging in age from 5 to 10 years old, were rushed to Memorial Hermann Cypress. An adult and one of the children were listed in critical condition. The rest were reportedly stable.

SEE ALSO: How to prevent carbon monoxide leaks in your home during cold weather

In the wake of the incident, fire officials are reminding people about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning, especially as the area dives deeper into extremely cold temperatures.

"Please remember to never heat your home with a grill or oven," the fire department tweeted. "Please remember to never run a generator or grill inside your home. These produce carbon monoxide, which is a deadly, colorless and odorless gas."

SEE MORE: Woman who lost 5 family members to carbon monoxide giving away free detectors

Her relatives were hunkered down after Hurricane Delta hit Lake Charles in October 2020. Now, she's giving away free detectors.

Follow Shelley Childers on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.