Neighbors help each other escape burning apartment

February 27, 2013 2:08:26 PM PST
Fire broke out at a southwest Houston apartment complex this morning and as it burned, neighbors knocked on doors to make sure everyone made it out alive.

The fire broke out around 3am at the complex on Dunlap near Fonmeadow.

When firefighters arrived, they saw smoke pouring out of a downstairs apartment. The woman who lives in the apartment, who is in her early 60s, had already made it outside.

She was taken to the hospital to get checked out, but firefighters say she should be OK.

As for the fire, they say the damage was limited to the kitchen area.

"We were here so fast and were able to contain the fire that the smoke levels in the neighboring apartment were minimal to nothing at this time," said Chief Jay Evans with the Houston Fire Department.

Firefighters say the smoke detectors were blaring when they got here. They say that might have helped save the woman from serious injuries.

Investigators believe the blaze may have started in the kitchen, and been the result of someone cooking.

Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices