One suspect shot, one arrested by deputies after gas station robbery


Deputies were called to a Valero gas station on Kieth Harrow and Highway 6 early Tuesday morning where they say they found the two armed suspects coming out of the store.

Both suspects -- Kourtnay James Andrus, 21, and Kydell H. Andrus, 23 -- have been charged with aggravated robbery and aggravated assault on a peace officer.

Nearby resident Tom Neal's routine Valero stop on Tuesday morning was anything but ordinary.

"A little too close to home," he said.

Just after midnight, deputies say two armed suspects robbed the gas station.

"That was really, really, really scary," said an eyewitness.

From across the street, two women who work nearby were heading home for the night. They say they saw the suspects in white hoodies lock the front door and turn customers away. So they called 911.

"I was telling the operator, they got guns, they got guns; for the police to be careful," the eyewitness said.

When deputies arrived after responding to a silent alarm the clerk had activated, the two suspects were on their way out the door but didn't make it far.

"He raised his weapon at them and at that point deputies fired at him," said Deputy Thomas Gilliland with the Harris Co. Sheriff's Office.

Those eyewitnesses say they clearly heard the deputies' orders.

"The second time he said, 'I said don't move!' He said it real loud," the eyewitness told us.

But when deputies say Kourtnay didn't comply and turned and raised his weapon towards a deputy, both deputies fired -- one with a handgun, one with a shotgun -- striking him in the upper chest. Kourtnay was transported via LifeFlight to Memorial Hermann Hospital where he is said to be in critical condition at last check.

"Well, that's what you get, I guess. You don't pull a gun on police," said Neal.

He is just glad they're off the streets. And these two women are proud they could help with their capture.

"I'm still in shock just thinking about it. I'm just glad we were around to call police when I first seen them. So I'm glad we did that," said the eyewitness.

Kydell was not injured and surrendered without incident. No deputies were hurt.

Detectives are still reviewing surveillance video. The two deputies are on paid leave which is standard operating procedure.

Copyright © 2024 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.