Venomous snake bites students in class

BIG SANDY, TX School officials in Big Sandy said Tuesday the students were bitten by a cottonmouth snake their teacher had misidentified as non-venomous. They were taken to a hospital Monday when their hands began swelling.

Big Sandy Superintendent Scott Beene said Tuesday the students are OK but remain hospitalized for observation. The snake was given to a nearby zoo.

Beene said the school district would revisit its policies about bringing animals on campus.

          State News Channel | 100 most recent Texas stories
        Slideshow archive | ABC13 wireless | Headlines at a glance
Copyright © 2019 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.