The peak usage for power in Texas happens between 3 pm and 7 pm. Right now the state of Texas is issuing an electricity alert hoping you will conserve power during that time.
The potential is there for forced rolling outages, but we're not there yet.
Here's what the PUC is asking everyone to do.
- Turn off lights, appliances and electronic equipment.
- When you are at home, leave the thermostat set at 78 degrees.
- When you are away from home, set the temperature at 85 degrees.
- Do not use dish washers, laundry equipment, hair dryers, coffee makers, and other large appliances from 3 pm to 7 pm.
- Cook with microwave ovens instead of an electric range.
- Set pool pumps to operate in the morning or late evening.
The PUC says an unexpected loss of a generating plant could force the state to issue rolling black outs, and that's why they want demand cut, the alert lasts for the rest of the week.