Texas police chase: Range Rover suspects arrested in swim trunks after blowing through golf course

Mycah Hatfield Image
Saturday, June 18, 2022
Chase suspect spits on deputy while being handcuffed, constable says
The spitting suspect is one of two people in a Range Rover that was caught on camera blowing through a busy Cypress golf course.

CYPRESS, Texas (KTRK) -- This isn't playing through.

Golfers who were hitting the links at Cypress Lakes Golf Course earlier this week got an unexpected obstruction - a police chase involving a Range Rover driving onto the course.

One of the golfers, Philip Morgan, captured the black luxury SUV blow-through their game with a constable deputy following right behind.

"Then, I saw a police car and it was like being in Grand Theft Auto," Morgan recalled. "It was kind of extreme."

The two people inside the Range Rover, later identified as 20-year-old Grey Martinez and 19-year-old Trevor Passmore, kept driving when the deputy tried to pull them over for a traffic stop.

"I'm just glad nobody got hurt, because there were a lot of people on the golf course so that could have ended in a terrible way," Morgan said.

According to a news release from Precinct 4, the constable's Special Operations Unit attempted the stop, but the driver refused to comply. That led to a brief pursuit resulting in the driver losing control and crashing in the Fairfield subdivision.

The two men left the vehicle behind on foot and a perimeter was quickly established, the constable's office said.

Sources told ABC13 that Martinez dropped an AK-47 when he ran from the car and Passmore was in his swimming pool before being taken into custody.

"With the assistance of a Constable Canine, the driver was apprehended and identified as Grey Martinez. While taking him into custody he spit on a deputy," a constable's office news release read.

As part of announcing the arrests, the constable's office posted photos of each suspect, handcuffed while wearing just swim trunks. Martinez, in particular, appeared to have been bleeding in the face.

The same morning the pursuit took place, Martinez was expected in court for a pursuit that Precinct 4 said he led them on in December of 2021.

Sources said in that case, he was out of the car with the deputy, handed over his driver's license and then ran back to his vehicle and took off.

The pursuit went on for five miles before it was terminated at some point on the Northwest Freeway.

The deputy went to the address listed on Martinez's driver's license, according to sources, and met with his parents. He later turned himself in.

This week, both individuals were booked into the Harris County Jail. Martinez's bond was set at $30,000 for charges including felony evading in a motor vehicle and harassment of a public servant.

Passmore was charged with evading arrest, with a bond set at $100.

The constable's office didn't immediately disclose the reason for the original traffic stop.

ABC13 reached out to attorneys for both men but has not heard back.

A wild police chase with a Range Rover was captured on camera June 14 at Cypress Lakes Golf Course. Deputies say the occupants were later arrested.


Deputies chase man on stolen forklift for 20 minutes, sheriff says

After a 20-minute, slow-speed chase, deputies said the man came to a stop and was arrested. Authorities now know who the stolen forklift belongs to.

Good Samaritan helps Pct. 4 deputy constables take down runaway suspect in NW Harris County

A citizen take-down this Tuesday afternoon in northwest Harris County helped Pct. 4 deputy constables nab a man driving a stolen truck.

Man just released from hospital leads police chase in stolen ambulance, HPD says

Some bizarre moments happened before and after the high-speed chase. Here's what ABC13's Miya Shay found out.

For more on this story, follow Mycah Hatfield on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.