Gunfire exchanged in SW Houston apartment complex leads to 2-vehicle crash on Kirby and S. Braeswood

Chaz Miller Image
Wednesday, November 15, 2023
Shootout at apartment complex leads to major crash in SW Houston
The Houston Police Department is investigating a shooting and two-vehicle crash that left two people hospitalized on Wednesday.

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- Authorities say an exchange of gunfire at an apartment complex led to two men with gunshot wounds, as well as a crash in southwest Houston Wednesday afternoon.

Houston Police Department officers received back-to-back 911 calls and responded to three separate scenes minutes from each other around noon.

SkyEye flew over two of the scenes, where police could be seen investigating the area. One scene was along South Braeswood and Kirby, where video shows two heavily damaged, crashed-out vehicles near a street pole. The second scene was at a gas station along Murworth.

HPD Asst. Chief Megan Howard said it all started at an apartment complex parking lot in the 3000 block of Murworth, where two people exchanged gunfire.

According to Howard, two men were sitting in a parked vehicle at the complex when another man approached them and fired shots.

One of the men inside the car was hurt, and the other reportedly returned fire, hitting the suspect. Howard said everyone then fled the scene.

The person initially struck was found at a nearby gas station on Maine and Murworth with multiple gunshot wounds and was transported to the hospital in critical condition.

The man accused of starting the altercation crashed out at Kirby and South Braeswood and is expected to survive after suffering a single gunshot wound.

"The other vehicle, which crashed, is going to be the suspect who initially approached the vehicle and, from our understanding right now, discharged his firearm first," Howard said.

Howard said the driver of the other vehicle in the crash had nothing to do with the situation but claimed she had injuries. Her condition is unknown.

Police said investigators were at the scene looking for surveillance video and talking to witnesses.

"We essentially have three separate locations at this time that have to be processed," Howard said.

No charges have been filed at this time as a result of the ongoing investigation.

For news updates, follow Chaz Miller on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.