Suspect fatally shot at end of high-speed police chase in north Houston

KTRK logo
Thursday, November 11, 2021
Shots fired at end of high-speed police chase
Constable Mark Herman says they believe the suspect in the vehicle was involved in a shooting at a Precinct 4 storefront earlier this week.

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- A high-speed chase ended with shots fired in a parking lot near Greenspoint Mall. The suspect was fatally shot as he exited the vehicle with a gun.

The pursuit began just a little after 11 a.m. Thursday. It came up the Gulf Freeway, through the center of the city and on to the north side.

Harris County Precinct 4 Constable Mark Herman says they believe the suspect in the vehicle was involved in a shooting at a Precinct 4 storefront earlier this week. When authorities determined where the shooting suspect was located, they requested assistance from Houston police. Some officers had been in place downtown for the Veterans Day parade.

The suspect, in a white sedan, was easily reaching speeds of 80 mph on the freeways during the chase.

Press play to watch SkyEye13 video.

The suspect left the freeway and took to the side streets in the area of Greenspoint Mall, circling the area. He exited the vehicle in the parking lot of a Goodwill store carrying what police call an AR-15 style rifle. At that time, officers opened fire. The suspect, who was wearing body armor, was hit and died at the scene.

According to HPD, four officers discharged their weapons -- two Houston police officers and two Harris County Precinct 4 deputies. The shooting remains under investigation.

WATCH: Ful update from Houston Police Department regarding the chase and shooting

The high-speed police chase ended with the suspect being shot by police, and dying at the scene.

No officers were injured. A bystander was taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries to his leg. Police say it may have been a result of a ricochet. They were in good condition Thursday afternoon, according to Herman.

Harris County Pct. 4 Constable Mark Herman's briefing on fatal shooting after pursuit

The suspect shot to death Thursday was the same person who opened fire on a Precinct 4 Constable's Office storefront on Monday, according to Constable Mark Herman.

"Why he chose to come here and attack law enforcement, we don't know," Herman said.

Herman said he investigators believe the man had been arrested in the past for kidnapping and aggravated assault charges.

WHY DO THEY RUN? Suspects tell their stories of high speed pursuits

WATCH: Driver in stolen Challenger Hellcat leads authorities on high-speed chase on I-10

Video of a high-speed chase on the East Freeway

WATCH: Suspect tackled in cow pasture after high speed chase

Deputy tackles suspect after wild high-speed chase


High speed chase ends in tense arrest near Highway 288

Officers take down 4 suspects after wild chase on Highway 288

Live traffic map