At least 7 children hospitalized after chlorine leak in lazy river at Memorial area club, HFD says

KTRK logo
Sunday, June 25, 2023
Chlorine spill sends 10, including children to hospital in SW Houston
According to Houston police, there was also a case of accidental ingestion at the scene, where seven children and three adults were hospitalized.

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- A chemical exposure impacted a dozen people at Club Westside on Saturday, according to the Houston Fire Department.

Firefighters said chlorine spilled into the lazy river at a family sports fitness club owned by Mattress Mack just before 5 p.m. in the 1200 block of Wilcrest Drive.

Authorities initially said seven children and three adults were taken to the hospital after possibly ingesting chlorine. In an update, HFD said 12 people were hospitalized.

Chief Samuel Peña tweeted that the spill was under control at about 8:25 p.m., applauding firefighter crews for quickly assisting club members. He said an over-chlorination of the pool caused the incident.