Elderly couple escapes burning home in NE Houston

HOUSTON

The home on Benson near Sumpter caught fire around 9pm. Fire officials believe it started after a water heater inside the home exploded.

The two people inside were able to escape before the flames took over. "I have a flashlight I keep by my bed," said resident Patricia Bullock. "I shined the light. You couldn't see nothing but smoke."

The home sustained only minor damage.

Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices

Copyright © 2019 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.