Driver dies after crashing into house while running from police

Homeowner Jose Lira examines his damaged home

February 7, 2013 9:44:43 AM PST
An overnight police chase ended with the suspect crashing into a north side home and then dying. The homeowner is speaking out, thankful that no one in his family was hurt.

Police have yet to release the name of that deceased suspect, who they say slammed his pickup right into a bedroom where a woman was sleeping.

The pickup barreled through the woman's bedroom, missing her, according to police, by just a few inches. The crash did major damage as the whole front of the house is now just a heap of rubble.

Jose Lira spent Thursday morning thinking about insurance.

"Just woke up and saw everything on the front destroyed," said homeowner Jose Lara. "Thank God nothing happened to us."

He doesn't have any for his home and he's counting on whatever coverage the driver that crashed into it had on the white Ford F-150 pickup truck.

"I mean, this is kind of a lot of money for myself," said Lira.

The pickup plowed into Lira's front bedroom around 2:00am after a chase with police. That chase started near East Crosstimbers near Irvington, when a DWI officer tried to pull over the pickup, which was driving without headlights.

"The suspect, we believe, sees the officer, turns his headlights on and then off again and then leads the DWI officer on a pursuit," said HPD spokesperson John Cannon.

The suspect lost control on the East Hardy Road, and slammed into Lira's house in the 9600 block, right through his mother-in-law's bedroom.

"The headboard on her bed is basically in a pile of sheet rock and debris," said Cannon. "The truck literally missed her by inches."

She managed to crawl out from the debris and suffered only scratches.

"We're just blessed that she's here with us," said resident Irma Lira. "She has very, very many angels that are watching over her."

None of the other four residents inside was injured.

The driver of the truck died in the crash. Lira's family is sorry the man lost his life, but grateful they made it out with only a few scrapes and bruises.

"Very lucky. Thank God nothing happened to any of us," he said.

The crash ruptured a gas line that was quickly contained by Houston Fire Department personnel.

As for the deceased suspect, police say a witness saw him driving away from a bar Thursday morning with his headlights off. The 22-year-old man has not yet been identified.

Police say the investigation is continuing.

Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices