Mailman rescues two girls from burning home in southwest Houston

HOUSTON

The fire started on Tidewater at Mandalay around 9am Tuesday. Investigators think a malfunctioning AC unit or possibly an extension cord plugged into the unit triggered the fire. Family members say the 12 and 14-year-old girls were asleep when the fire started.

A mailman on his route saw the flames and saved the girls.

"The mailman was coming by and the mailman woke the kids up, and got the kids out. Thank you, Jesus. Everybody is OK, but they lost everything," said the victim's family member, Edna Singleton.

The Red Cross is now helping the family.

Copyright © 2019 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.