Remains of plant worker missing since blast found

February 10, 2011 12:19:22 PM PST
Officials have found the remains of the contractor who has been missing since Tuesday's explosion at the Enterprise Products facility in Mont Belvieu. Family members have identified the worker as 43-year-old Rick Shaw, known to his family as Ricky. "Enterprise offers its condolences to the family and friends of the worker and will be working closely with authorities to determine the cause of the fire," the company wrote in a statement. Before they were notified of Shaw's death, his family told Eyewtiness News they were disappointed by the lack of answers they say they'd been getting from Enterprise Products.

A Turner Industries spokesman says the company has confirmed that Rick Shaw was near the ignition point of Tuesday's explosion at the Enterprise Products storage plant in Mont Belvieu. Mike Phelps said Wednesday that Turner is working with Enterprise as the search for Shaw continues at the shattered work site.

Rick's sister says Shaw was a contract maintenance worker who took all the overtime hours he could get in order to take care of his two young girls.

Strangers who don't even know Shaw are thinking about him and his family.

Alan Parker said, "My church, we're praying, praying real hard for him, hoping that he's safe."

A spokesperson for Enterprise Products says crews have now extinguished the fire which at one point shot hundreds of feet into the air. Only Tuesday night could they shut off the flow of fuel that was feeding those flames. Investigators say it's hard to say at this point what caused the explosion.

Enterprise spokesperson Rick Rainey said, "At this point it's really too early to tell exactly what happened, but that will be part of our investigation."

Shaw's family, though, says they want answers. A family spokesperson said they were thrown off the property Wednesday when they came to talk to Enterprise officials. Charles Adams, who says he is married to Shaw's niece, says they are "...not telling us anything..."

Enterprise would not give any details about what workers were doing just prior to the explosion or what might have sparked it. They refused to answer repeated requests from us on Wednesday as well.

OSHA is investigating this incident. They will not tell us so far what they might have found, if anything. By law, their investigators have up to six months to complete their investigation.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.