The second approach is the application of Larvacide in the form of pellets, which are placed in areas where mosquitoes are known to breed, including ditches, storm sewers, detention ponds, etc. The Larvicide program is also conducted throughout the summer months.
Applications of Adulticide and Larvacide to control mosquitoes are not always enough. Homeowners can help through the following efforts:
- Use EPA-registered mosquito repellents when necessary and follow label directions and precautions closely.
- Dump water from flowerpots, tires, birdbaths and plastic swimming pools.
- Clean gutters of debris and standing water.
- Repair leaky plumbing and outside faucets.
- Stock ornamental ponds with mosquito-eating fish like minnows.
- Don't wash lawn clippings into storm sewers.
- Drain water from tree holes and stumps or fill them with mortar.