Family members who live on the property say it's been in the family for 54 years. It had been vacant in recent years, they say, but still contained family heirlooms. Family members also say that the home was most likely built from logs harvested from local Montgomery County pine forests.
The family living on the property recently contacted Texas A&M University, seeking help in restoring the old log home.
The Montgomery County fire marshal has ruled the fire was accidental, starting from an electrical outlet and extension cord on the front porch.