New clues in death of reverend

LA MARQUE, TX [SIGN UP: Get headlines and breaking news sent to you]

The video was shot just before 7:30pm last Sunday, the day /*Reverend Luetellie Pinesette*/ went missing. The reverend walked into the store followed by his grandson, Lionel. Clerk Gul Rashiv says he remembers the day as a typical one.

"From 7 until 8:30, everybody is getting off work and people are coming in," he said.

But police have their questions about the video, especially in one part when both men shake hands with a third man. Others can also be seen inside the store.

Police say they're attempting to reach those others to figure out the state of mind of the victim.

"Right now, we're still in a state of limbo to what really occurred," said Chief Richard Price with the La Marque Police Department.

The reverend's body was found Monday in a La Marque bayou, more than a week after he disappeared. Police say initial autopsy results reveal the reverend's body had no signs of trauma, nor any defensive wounds. Nothing was missing from the body, but a cause of death is still inconclusive.

"Right now, we don't really know much," said Chief Price.

The grandson remains in jail following an altercation with his mother the day his grandfather went missing. Based on the time of that fight and when he was at that store, police have made one determination.

"We feel relatively 100 percent sure that Lionel had nothing to do with the disappearance of his grandfather," said Chief Price.

Police, however, aren't ruling out foul play did occur, hoping the video will shed light on the case.

"When we've exhausted all leads, we'll stop, but we're not going to stop until we find out," Chief Price said.

Police say they're still waiting for official autopsy results. At this point, the cause of death is still inconclusive.

      Headline check | 100 most recent local stories | News alerts
            Slideshow archive | ABC13 wireless | Help solve crimes
Copyright © 2022 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.