Space heaters, fireplaces and other supplemental heating devices can increase the possibility of a fire.
HFD recommends the following safety tips when using these devices:
- Make sure you have a working smoke alarm.
- Never leave children unattended in a room with a space heater - Children knock over space heaters especially if they are placed on top of wobbly tables or stools and near where the children play. Children may also stick paper or toys in the grates of the space heaters especially gas space heaters.
- Keep all combustible materials, including yourself at least 3 feet from the heater.
- Open face heaters should have a screen.
- Provide ventilation to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
According to HFD, about 100 fires are attributed to heating devices in the city of Houston every year, resulting in numerous injuries and possible death.