Fire at Michigan welding co. injures one

November 2, 2009 8:45:55 AM PST
Authorities say multiple explosions have been reported and at least one person has been hospitalized after a fire broke out at a Michigan welding supply company.Marysville Police Chief Tim Buelow tells the Times Herald of Port Huron that an employee was removing a valve from a settling tank Monday morning when it exploded. He says residents are being told to stay inside because of the potential for airborne chlorine gas.

Buelow says he did not know how many employees were inside when the fire broke out. He says several tanks exploded and there were reports of flying shrapnel.

The Times Herald says authorities have begun evacuating nearby homes and businesses.

No further details have been released.

      QUICK HEADLINES | MORE US/WORLD | GET NEWS ALERTS
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ABC13 SOCIAL NETWORKING
Find us on Facebook® | Follow us on Twitter | More social networking
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MORE FROM ABC13
ABC13 widget | Most popular stories | Street-level weather
ABC13 wireless | Slideshow archive | Help solve crimes
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Load Comments