Veranda Village apartments caught fire at least twice prior to Friday's disaster, resident says

Lileana Pearson Image
Saturday, July 29, 2023
Pasadena apartment complex with prior fire history burns again
Fortunately, all residents at the 24-unit complex were evacuated Friday, but the material on the roof created difficulties for firefighters to put out the flames.

PASADENA, Texas (KTRK) -- Smoke and fire engulfed the intersection of Fairmont Parkway and Shaver Street on Friday as a building at the Veranda Village apartment complex went up in flames.

The Pasadena Police Department tweeted information about its assistance to firefighters in the 3500 block of Shaver Street, which is along the western edge of the city's limits.

According to the Pasadena Fire Marshal, 24 units were destroyed and everyone was evacuated. The Red Cross said it is working to help residents displaced by the blaze.

About 10 trucks and 75 firefighters were called out there, and no injuries were reported, the fire marshal added.

Don Armstrong in SkyEye noticed the complex had a flat roof made with asphalt material, which, he said, made reignitions possible.

Christina Figueroa used to live in the building that caught on fire before she moved to a different building in the complex. She's glad to have moved.

"I'm a single mother, so if something happens, it's only me and my kids," she said.

Figueroa, who was home at the time of the incident, said this isn't the complex's first fire.

"This is the third building that has caught on fire already," she said.

In video from 2021, ABC13 captured one of those other fires. The repeat events has Figueroa concerned for her and her children's safety.

Eyewitness News is working to learn how the investigation will play out considering the building was actively being demolished by a backhoe while fire crews worked on the flames.

Figueroa said she's not sure how much longer she can take living at the complex after watching so many become unhoused in moments.

"They don't have a place to stay and they lost memories," Figueroa said. "They either lost pictures or videos or kids' clothes. School is about to start. That is stressing for parents and stressing for children."

ABC13 tried to speak to someone with the leasing office, but we were told they had no comment and locked the door.

For more news updates, follow Lileana Pearson on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.