There was major movement among the top Houston area programs, highlighted by Class 5A state football champion Shadow Creek moving up to 6A.
Conversely, a handful of schools saw a demotion from higher classes. The changes were applied due to various factors, mainly changes in enrollment.
Here are the Houston area schools changing conferences for the top classes:
6A: 245 schools of 2,220 students or more enrolled
- Alvin Shadow Creek: Elevated from 5A
- Conroe Grand Oaks: Elevated from 5A
- Tomball: Elevated from 5A
- Willis: Elevated from 5A
- Houston Carnegie Vanguard: Elevated by request/policy
5A: 252 schools of 1,230-2,219 students enrolled
- Baytown Sterling: Moved from 6A
- Fort Bend Kempner: Moved from 6A
- La Porte: Moved from 6A
- Lamar Fulshear: Elevated from 4A
- Katy Jordan: New school assigned to 5A
UIL also posted the complete 6A conference alignments by region and districts for football and basketball, as well as the 5A alignments for Division I and Division II football and for basketball.