2 injured after Montrose-area fire ignites due to gas line hit by construction crew, officials say

Friday, November 17, 2023
Building ignites after gas line hit by construction crew: Fire chief
Houston fire crews could be seen battling flames at a Montrose-area building along Kipling and Hazard Street on Friday morning.

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- ABC13 has confirmed a fire in Montrose that started around 8 a.m. Friday was caused when a construction worker on a City of Houston waterline project ruptured a gas line on Woodhead at Kipling.

Officials said a piece of machinery caught fire before the flames spread to a nearby home.

The construction worker was taken to the hospital with unknown injuries, and a firefighter suffered an ankle injury while inside the burning home.

"Safety is always our top priority," the City of Houston Public Works Department said in a statement to ABC13. "The project manager is working to relocate the people living in the damaged home and remove the burnt equipment from the location."

One neighbor reported hearing loud burning sounds and seeing sparks on what she described as electricity wires.

ABC13 spoke to a student at Lanier Middle School who described what it was like being inside the school where this was taking place.

"It smelled like something was burning," Kennedy Kimborough said. "I could smell it."

CenterPoint Energy told ABC13 it is currently working to restore gas service in the area.