Houston Fire Dept. Capt. Tommy Searcy laid to rest

KTRK logo
Wednesday, September 16, 2020
Houston Fire Dept. Capt. Tommy Searcy laid to rest
"In good times and bad, Tommy was the right type of hero," said Marty Lancton, president of the Houston Professional Fire Fighters Assocation.

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- Houston Fire Capt. Tommy Searcy was remembered Wednesday for his life and his service to Houston.

Searcy died from coronavirus complications on Sept. 8. He was 45 years old.

The 18-year veteran of the Houston Fire Department had been in a hospital in The Woodlands for several weeks, and he was given an experimental medication during his fight against the virus.

The sanctuary of Champion Forest Baptist Church was filled with family members and hundreds of fellow Houston firefighters for Wednesday's memorial service.

Searcy's final resting place is at Klein Memorial Park-Tomball at 32539 State Highway 249 in Pinehurst.

SEE ALSO: Houston firefighter dies from COVID-19 complications despite experimental drug trial

Hours after he passed away, a procession of police and fire trucks escorted his body to Klein Funeral Home in Tomball.

Procession ahead of Searcy's memorial service at Champion Forest Baptist Church

#SEARCYSTRONG: Watch above to see how the Houston Fire Department turned out strong to honor a captain who died of coronavirus complications.

HFD Capt. Tommy Searcy's body escorted to funeral home on Sept. 9

The body of Tommy Searcy, an HFD captain who died, following a battle with COVID-19, is escorted to the funeral home.

According to a statement from HFD, Searcy entered the department in August 2002 and was promoted to Captain in 2013. He served most of his career at Fire Station 46 in southeast Houston.

In 2014, Searcy was assigned to Fire Station 67 in northwest Houston where he last served.

Searcy was a father of three and has a twin brother, who is also a Houston firefighter.

Searcy's death, just like those of two other HFD firefighters who died from illnesses related to COVID-19, will be classified as a line-of-duty death, the fire union said.