For those who enjoy the outdoors, a few venues around town offer fun freebies.
Houston's Discovery Green is full of free events that range from entertainment to fitness. Check out the Discovery Green calendar for details on all their events.
Market Square Park in downtown Houston features a variety of live entertainment and has a Niko Niko's Greek restaurant, as well as shady walkways and dog runs. Check out their calendar for details on their events.
Miller Outdoor Theatre
The outdoor theater presents free, public performances that showcase Houston's diversity. Check out their calendar for details on their events.
If you're all about the Houston Museum District, several of them offer free admissions.
The Menil Collection is always free, but the museum is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.
Museum of Fine Arts Houston
The art museum is free if:
- You are visiting on a Thursday, when general admission is free for everyone, courtesy of Shell.
- You are age 5 or younger. This age group receives free general admission every day.
- You are age 6 to 18 and visiting on a Saturday or Sunday with a library card from any public library in Texas. The library cardholder receives one free general admission; offer does not apply to ticketed exhibitions or events.
- You are a visitor to Cafe Express, Hirsch Library, MFAH Shop, or Glassell School exhibitions.
- You are a teacher visiting the Kinder Foundation Education Center, located on the lower level of the Law Building.
- If you're a Bank of America cardholder visiting on the first Saturday or Sunday of each month
Children's Museum of Houston
On Thursdays, the Children's Museum of Houston offers free family night from 5-8pm. If you're a Bank of America customer, admission is free for cardholders the first weekend of every month, but you must show valid Bank of America card and only that cardholder gets in for free. Members of the ASTC Passport Program also may receive free admission through their existing Museum/science center membership.
Houston Museum of Natural Science
The science museum is free from 3-6pm on Thursday. Admission is valid only for the dinosaur and mineral exhibits.
The museum is open from June through August and visitors can get in for free every Thursday from 2- 5pm.
Animals lovers can visit the Houston Zoo for free on the first weekend of each month if they're Bank of America cardolders. A photo ID and valid Bank of America/Merrill Lynch credit or debit card must be presented. One free general admission limited to cardholder. Admission to the Houston Zoo is free for active duty US military personnel and their families (limit 2 adults and 3 children per military family per day). The Houston Zoo's Lone Star Access Program allows free admission for individuals receiving SNAP and WIC benefits only.
Discount tickets for the Houston Zoo:
- AAA members presenting a photo ID and their AAA membership card receive $2 off an adult admission, and $1 off a child admission, maximum 6 tickets per visit. Also includes half off tickets for the Zoo's Wildlife Carousel.
- Save $2 off an adult Zoo admission and $1 off a child's admission when you present your METRO Q Card or any METRO bus or METRORail ticket at the Zoo admission booth (one offer per person). For more information on the METRORail system, including a map, schedule and fares, visit www.ridemetro.org, or call METROLine at 713.635.4000.
- Purchase discount Zoo tickets at any of the 33 Fiesta Mart stores across the Houston area. Visit the courtesy booth of any Fiesta Mart in the Houston area to purchase. Effective December 15, 2012 an adult Zoo admission is $12 and a child Zoo admission is $9.
- The Houston Zoo offers discounted admission to registered students attending institutions of higher learning that are located within the city limits of the City of Houston.
- The Zoo maintains discounts for employees of the following Johnson Space Center, Kelsey Seybold, Baylor College of Medicine, Texas Children's Hospital, The M. D. Anderson Cancer Center
- A discount offer also is available for purchases of 20 or more tickets.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices