Officials eyeing discarded cigarette in house fire

April 6, 2012 9:30:49 AM PDT
A couple escaped from their burning home in far southwest Houston last night after smelling smoke.

The couple returned to their home on Glenridge near Wickbriar around 9:30pm. They immediately smelled the smoke and left. One resident was trying to put out flames with a garden hose when firefighters arrived minutes later. Approximately 30 firefighters responded to the incident, which was quickly tapped out.

Houston Fire Department arson investigators determined that a possible lit cigarette left unattended or discarded caused the fire.

The fire caused about $18,000 in damage. There were no reported injuries.

Load Comments