Houston firefighters and HazMat crews were called out to Terminal C just after 8am. Darian Ward with the Houston Airport System did confirm that they were checking for a smell of gas in the terminal but crews determined there was no gas leak.
The smell originiated in an overheated baggage mover motor. There was no fire, but smoke from the motor was spread throughout the building via the ventilation system.
The baggage claim area for Terminal C was briefly closed off as crews worked to find the source of the odor. It has since been cleared and returned to normal operations.
There were no flight delays due to the incident and no reports of any injuries.