HFD: Family escaped house fire thanks to smoke detector

Firefighters say a man, woman and child were able to escape from this home as it burned early Saturday because a smoke detector awoke them

June 18, 2011 5:59:10 AM PDT
A northeast Houston family escaped a house fire early Saturday thanks to a smoke detector, officials said. The blaze started just after 12:30am Saturday at a home on Dorchester near Roswell.

Firefighters say the family had grilled dinner and then went to bed.

Some embers from the grill fell onto their wooden porch overnight and caught fire.

The flames spread across one side of the home and became so intense that they melted the siding on a neighbor's house.

The home sustained extensive damage, but the family -- a man, a woman and a child around 10 years old -- awoke to the sounds of their smoke detector and escaped unharmed.

Load Comments