Man dies from injuries 16 days after fire

September 22, 2010 1:10:08 PM PDT
A wheelchair-bound man died from burns he suffered when he caught fire while trying to refill his lighter with lighter fluid. Magnolia resident Lorenzo "Larry" David Allen, 67, died Monday at Memorial Hermann Hospital's burn unit in Houston 16 days after the accident, according to the Montgomery County Fire Marshal's Office.

Officials say Allen was at his Magnolia-area home on Sept. 4 when he tried to refill his cigarette lighter and caught fire. They believe he spilled lighter fluid on his hands and clothing, which accelerated the flames.

Allen wasn't able to get out of his motorized wheelchair by himself, and the foam cushions of the chair also ignited, further spreading the flames. His companion eventually helped him get out of the chair and extinguish the flames. She suffered minor burns on her hands.

Allen was transported to Memorial Hermann in critical condition and was being treated for 16 days before his death. He is the seventh resident of Montgomery County to die from fire-related injuries this year. So far, 32 burn or fire-related injuries have been reported thus far.


Load Comments