Walters says NBC News tried to hire her last year

This May 5, 2009 photo shows Barbara Walters attending the Time 100 Gala, a celebration of TIME Magazine's 100 most influential people in the world in New York. Walters says NBC News tried to hire her back last June, but she decided to stay at ABC. (AP Photo/Evan Agostini)
January 11, 2010 1:05:24 PM PST
Barbara Walters says NBC News tried to hire her back last June, but she decided to stay at ABC. Walters says she met with NBC Universal chief executive Jeff Zucker and other officials, but chose not to go because she's been happy at ABC.

The 80-year-old journalist said Monday on "The View" that with the emphasis on the 18-to-49 age group for advertising, "it was a very flattering offer." Walters says she would have been able to continue to appear on the ABC show.

Says Walters: "So I just want to say that in spite of the fact it is young, young, they did make me this offer and now I can publicly thank them."

The two networks didn't immediately respond to e-mails from The Associated Press seeking comment.

Walters spent 13 years on NBC's "Today" show.


Load Comments