Abilene house fire kills one, injures three

February 1, 2009 8:20:14 PM PST
An Abilene woman died and one of her twin 7-year-old sons was critically injured in a house fire early Sunday. Abilene fire spokesman Gary Hamner said neighbors told authorities they could hear the woman screaming from inside the burning home. She was found in the bathroom, where she had apparently turned on the shower to try to escape the flames, Hamner said.

The woman's husband and their 9-year-old daughter and 7-year-old sons escaped from the house and went to the home of relatives nearby.

Hamner said one of the 7-year-old suffered third-degree burns over 70 to 90 percent of his body and was flown to University Medical Center in Lubbock. The 9-year-old suffered minor burns on her shoulder and the other boy was not burned. Both were taken to the local hospital.

Hamner said the boys slept on twin beds and that the bed of one of the boys was on fire.

Firefighters believe the blaze started in the boys' room but they have not determined the cause.

The names of the victims haven't been released.

          State News Channel | 100 most recent Texas stories
        Slideshow archive | ABC13 wireless | Headlines at a glance


Load Comments