VIDEO: Man's pants catch fire after e-cigarette explodes

KTRK logo
Thursday, February 25, 2016
EMBED <>More Videos

A man suffered severe burns after an e-cigarette in his pants exploded and caught his pants on fire

OWENSBORO, KY (KTRK) -- A man in Kentucky was seriously burned by an exploding e-cigarette in his pocket.

In surveillance video, the customer is seen standing at the counter when flames suddenly start shooting out of his pants.

He quickly reaches into his pockets and removes an e-cigarette, but his pants are still burning. The store employees are seen trying to help him.

One witness told local station WFIE, "I was shocked! I was like, 'What was that? You have a bomb in your pocket? I was like that! You carry your bomb in your pocket?' I was totally shocked and just like this my hands were on my head."

The man blames the fire on the battery in his e-cigarette exploding.

He suffered second degree burns to his thighs and legs.