Houston-area cheerleader bitten by Copperhead snake while practicing routines in backyard

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- A cheerleader who said she just wanted to record herself showing off some moves had to be rushed to the hospital after she was bitten by a Copperhead snake.

Paris Montgomery was in her backyard practicing her cheer routines when she thought she stepped on a stick. To her surprise, a snake bit her right foot.

"Something just started hurting," she said. "I didn't know it was a snake."

INTERVIEW: In the video below, ABC13 spoke with Paris Montgomery and her mom Tracy about the terrifying moment that left her with a serious trip to the ER.
EMBED More News Videos

In the video above, ABC13 spoke with Paris Montgomery and her mom Tracy about the terrifying moment that left her with a serious trip to the ER.



The teen's mom took her to the emergency room where she was given anti-venom.

"I did not have snake on my mind, so I was thinking, 'Maybe a bee stung her,'" said Paris' mom Tracy. "So, I put some baking soda on it. Well then, it started swelling up and turning purple and we rushed her to the hospital."

Copperhead snakes are venomous and are likely to bite.

FROM 2016: Art Rascon hospitalized after copperhead snake bite
EMBED More News Videos

ABC13's Art Rascon is in the hospital after copperhead snake bite.



Now, the junior in high school will make sure to check the ground before she practices her cheer routines.

WATCH OUT! Do you know the distinct markings of a copperhead snake?
EMBED More News Videos

Watch out! Do you know the distinct markings of a copperhead snake? TJ Parker shows you what to look out for in this video.



Watch out for 'zombie snakes' playing dead
EMBED More News Videos

Certain snakes defend themselves by playing dead

Copyright © 2020 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.