At least 8 people transported to hospitals following chemical leak at indoor pool in Spring


It happened around 6:30pm Tuesday as the children were taking a swim lesson at the Fins swimming facility in the 7800 block of Spring Cypress.

Klein Fire Department Chief David Bessolo says several people fell ill following what is believed to be a chlorine leak. He said they began complaining of nausea and irritated eyes, and started experiencing trouble breathing.

"The pool uses a liquid chlorine gas system that injects the chlorine into the swimming pool, and they're checking for problems with that system," he said.

Harris County Sheriff's Office authorities say the chemical smell was so strong that no one could get inside the building.

Bessolo says four children were taken to Methodist Willowbrook and at least another four people were taken to St. Luke's on the Vintage Hospital off Highway 249. Their ages ranged from 2 to 16.

St. Luke's at Vintage Hospital spokeswoman Karen Frye confirmed four patients were brought to the hospital. She says one child who was still having trouble breathing was taken to Texas Children's Hospital in the Med Center. Frye says the other child is listed in fair condition. The other child is listed in good condition but was taken to the northwest branch of Texas Children's Hospital.

The two adults, aged 21 and 24, have been treated and were expected to be released, Frye said.

The entire building was evacuated until the Harris County Hazmat crew cleared the scene.

"We have no idea what could have gone on. They say something shot out of one of the jets. I've been in swimming all my life and I've never heard of anything like that happening before," Fins owner Bill Goudeket said. "We're as sorry as we can be. We're in the business of saving lives, certainly not hurting anybody, so we want to make sure everybody is OK."

Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices

Copyright © 2022 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.