It happened at a home on Riceville School Road and West Place just after midnight. Fire officials say the house didn't have a working heater, so they decided to use the fireplace to keep warm and that's what apparently led to this fire.
According to fire officials, this was the first time this season the fireplace was used in the house and apparently all of the soot wasn't cleaned out.
The homeowner says he jumped on the roof of the home to try to stop the fire by using a garden hose. That's when firefighters arrived and made him get down.
Eventually, a hole in roof had to be cut by firefighters in order to stop the flames from spreading.
"I tried to help you because I have my wife and my kids and everyone nervous," said homeowner Felepe Fragosa, Jr. "I tried to help the fire department."
Fire officials say this is that time of year where people need to make sure their fireplaces are ready for fires.
The family of five was not injured. They are now staying with a neighbor.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices