Lightning strike triggers series of events that spark gas leak, shelter in place near downtown Houston


The fire department told residents on Hazard near Indiana to shelter in place once the leak was discovered.

Officials said it all started when lightning hit a transformer. Wires from the transformer landed on two cars and became energized, then started to burn.

Firefighters extinguished the blaze from a distance due to concerns the fire would suddenly grow. The flames from the vehicles were so intense they caused some of the concrete to break off, exposing a gas line and creating a leak.

CenterPoint Energy shut down the entire electrical grid in the area as a precaution, and it took crews more than three hours to repair the leak.

No injuries were reported.

Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices

Copyright © 2022 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.