Police chase ends with officer-involved shooting

HOUSTON Police were on a disturbance call a few miles away when an officer noticed a suspect breaking glass on a vehicle and then saw a white pickup truck leaving the scene. All of that led to a bold and violent police chase that ended on Eubanks and Schneider with two banged up police cars.

"I'm trying to go home and go to sleep," said nearby resident Daniel Vasquez.

Just off the graveyard shift, Vasquez was stopped by police barricades.

"I knew somebody got hurt or something when I saw all of this yellow tape," he said.

His neighborhood was the scene of the violent speed high chase. The commotion woke some children out of their sleep.

"He was like, 'Mommy, mommy there are cops and shots out there." I said, 'What?' I said, 'Get inside, lock yourself,'" said resident Maria Alfaro.

Police say two HPD units had been chasing three suspects in what is believed to be a stolen white pickup truck. The short chase turned on Schneider Street. HPD says that is when things went from bad to worse.

"The suspect vehicle suddenly stops, goes into reverse and it rams the primary patrol vehicle that is pursuing and rams him at least two times," said HPD spokesperson Victor Senties.

Then police say the suspects rammed a second police unit but before crashing into the police car again, both officers inside jumped out and pulled their weapons.

"They were concerned for their safety so both officers exit the vehicle, they discharged their duty weapons several times," said Senties.

One suspect in the passenger seat was shot. Police say all three bailed out of the truck but were later arrested.

"He has no remorse," said Vasquez. "I guess he's not thinking the consequences he has to face now."

The injured suspect was taken to the hospital and he has non-life threatening injuries.

The suspects could face charges of aggravated assault on a police officer.

As for the officers involved in this case, HPD Officer Gilbert Garcia, 21, and rookie HPD Officer Amna K. Ali have minor cuts and bruises. The officers were placed on administrative duty for several days while the case is being investigated.

Copyright © 2023 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.