Beginning Wednesday, September 24, 2008, 6:00 a.m. all residents will be able to re-enter Galveston Island. You must show photo identification that verifies your Galveston address or place of business at all manned checkpoints. The City of Galveston will distribute advisories as returning residents and business owners enter the island.
Areas Located Behind the Seawall East of 103rd Street/Cove View Lane: All residents and business owners may re-enter the City of Galveston, assess the damage to their property, and determine if they wish to remain in the city. Very limited water, sewer, natural gas, and electric services have been restored to areas behind the Seawall.
Areas Not Located Behind the Seawall West of 103rd Street/Cove View Lane: All west end residents/businesses may re-enter the City of Galveston, assess the damage to their property, gather important belongings, and then leave the city to return to safe and more secure locations no later than 6:00 p.m. Water, sewer, natural gas, and electric services have not been restored to areas West of Seawall therefore sanitary living conditions are not available at this time.
Current Conditions in Galveston
- No medical facilities are available
- Limited water, sewer, electricity, or natural gas service
- A boil water notice remains in effect until further notice
- Mandated water conservation program in effect island-wide
- Limited retail services available including fuel, food, water, auto, pharmacies, etc.
- Curfew strictly enforced: 6:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. Violators subject to $2,000 fine.
- Limited cell phone coverage
- The south side of the Seawall, all beaches, and the water of the Gulf of Mexico remain closed until further notice
Supplies You Will Need to Bring
- Bottled Water
- Flashlights & Batteries
- First Aid Kit
- Hand Tools
- Hand Sanitizer
- Heavy Duty Garbage Bags
- Notepad & Pens
- Bug Repellant
- Personal Hygiene Items
- Face Masks
- Vehicle Fuel Additives
- Tire Repair -- Tools, Fix-A-Flat, Spare Tire, Jack
- Watch for Debris
- Drive Cautiously -- Obey All Speed Limits
- Be Conscientious of Other Vehicles, Bicyclists, and Pedestrians
- Treat All Intersections as a Four-Way Stop
- Street Signs May or May Not Be Present so Remain Alert When Driving
- Do Not Put Yourself in a Hazardous Situation
- Do Not Enter Unsafe Buildings
- Exercise Common Sense and Caution When Entering Structures