RVs, boats, classic car burned in storage facility fire sparked by unattended candles, officials say

Charly Edsitty Image
Wednesday, April 19, 2023
Candles sparked fire at N. Houston storage facility, official says
EMBED <>More Videos

Officials said two brothers working in the space used candles as light because there was no power. No one was hurt, but thousands of dollars of boats, RVS, and more were lost.

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- An early morning fire that was sparked by unattended candles completely destroyed a boat and RV storage facility in north Houston.

SkyEye video shows the aftermath of the massive fire at A-Safe-T Storage at 11539 N. Houston Rosslyn at Breen Drive, which is a total loss.

Officials said the fire first started at 5:15 a.m. Wednesday. Several boats, RVs, and even a classic car went up in flames.

Thankfully, nobody was hurt, but thousands of dollars were lost.

"The candle was on top of a wooden dresser. The dresser caught on fire first, and once that caught on fire, anything that's flammable," District Chief Roland Silva with the Northwest Volunteer Fire Department said. "It was right next to an old converted school bus that was like their shop, a makeshift shop for them."

Silva said two brothers renting the space to work were using the candles to light up a dark area.

"There's no light back there, no connection. CenterPoint even called out, and there's no power back there so I guess they only had candles. No iPhones or flashlights or anything," Silva said.

The flames reportedly spread quickly.

"It sounds like they might have tried to put it out before they actually called us," Silva said.

Four fire departments, in addition to Northwest Fire, responded to battle the flames.

Officials said there were no hydrants in the area, so four tankers and seven engines, which each hold 1,000 gallons of water, were called. A big pool of water also set up, supplying water in the fight.

Silva said in total, five to six boats, eight to 10 RVs, some construction equipment, and at least one classic car were burned up.

"The owner is in the process of contacting all of the tenants," Silva said.

Officials said a neighboring commercial glass company also had damage to two work trucks.

ABC13 reporter Charly Edsitty spoke with someone on the phone from A-Safe-T Storage. They did not want to comment on the incident.

For news updates, follow Charly Edsitty on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.