Firefighters save dog from mobile home fire in Conroe

Firefighters found the pit bull named "Little Bit" because his family told them he hides under the bed when he's scared
December 7, 2013 7:19:11 AM PST
A Montgomery County family is holding their dog a little closer this morning after he was rescued from their burning home overnight.

The fire broke out around 8pm at a mobile home on Ashland Drive near Highway 242 in Conroe.

It all started when someone set a small fire in the fireplace to keep warm. The fire died down and the family left to have dinner, but they hurried back after getting a call from a neighbor, saying their home was on fire.

Authorities say the flames quickly spread, leading to the collapse of the roof. It took fire crews about an hour to get the fire under control as winds fueled flames and smoke.

The family was frantic that their pit bull, "Little Bit," didn't make it.

"My legs got weak and I couldn't get out of the car fast enough. I mean, I love that dog. That's all I could think about," homeowner Lea Croston said.

Firefighters were able to locate Little Bit because Croston told them he hides under the bed when he is afraid.

"After we had knocked the fire down, we were going in and mopping up the fire and the guys found the homeowner's dog," Needham Fire Chief Kevin Hosler said. "He was hiding underneath a bed in the back bedroom, and he was alive."

Little Bit was given oxygen at the scene but is otherwise OK.

Authorities say this fire should serve as a warning for everyone. Make sure fireplace fires are completely out before leaving your home.

Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices

Load Comments