Man charged with murder in drive-by shooting

A drive-by shooting in northwest Houston left one person dead.

April 2, 2012 9:14:04 AM PDT
The suspect in a drive-by shooting that was reportedly the culmination of a months-long dispute between two men was in jail Monday, charged with murder.

According to court documents, 53-year-old Joseph Earl Francis is charged for the fatal shooting of Joshua Johnson, 24.

The incident happened around 7pm March 25 in the 1400 block of Tarberry in northwest Houston.

Police said officers responded to a shooting call and discovered Johnson's body. He was walking on Tarberry with his fiancée when a black Ford F-150 pickup truck pulled alongside and someone inside shot him in the head, authorities said.

Officials said Francis turned himself in the next day.

Further investigation revealed Francis and Johnson had been involved in an eight-month-long dispute, according to police.

Court documents state that the men had an argument in April 2011 and they got into a physical altercation at a wedding the following month. The fight in May reportedly left Francis with a severe injury to his left eye, an affidavit states.

Since that time, there were several other altercations between the men, police said.

The war between them ended that night in northwest Houston when, according to Francis' statement to police, Johnson aggressively approached his vehicle. That's when Francis said he pulled a deer rifle from his back seat and shot Johnson once in the head through the open passenger side window.

According to court documents, police asked Francis why he didn't just drive away when he saw Johnson approaching him. Officials said he told them "he didn't want to keep running" from him.

Francis remained in jail Monday with bond set at $50,000.


Load Comments