Hourslong SWAT standoff at Cypress home ends peacefully after kidnapping suspect surrenders: HCSO

Tuesday, February 21, 2023
Kidnapping suspect surrenders peacefully in SWAT standoff: HCSO
After a five-hour-long SWAT standoff, a kidnapping suspect who barricaded himself inside a Cypress home gave up, deputies said.

CYPRESS, Texas (KTRK) -- After a five-hour-long SWAT standoff, a kidnapping suspect who barricaded himself inside a Cypress home gave up, according to the Harris County Sheriff's Office.

Maj. Wayne Kuhlman said the sheriff's office received calls at 4:50 a.m. Monday regarding a suspicious person in the 16000 block of Thorn Cypress.

When deputies arrived, Kuhlman said they found a distressed woman who claimed she had been kidnapped and sexually assaulted.

The suspect, who authorities told ABC13 is a 34-year-old man, remained locked inside the home and refused to come out. So, that's when a SWAT unit was sent out to the scene.

Kuhlman said they were able to obtain a warrant for aggravated kidnapping based on the information they had.

Eventually, the man surrendered peacefully.

The 34-year-old was charged with aggravated kidnapping, and sexual assault charges will be determined pending a sexual assault investigation. Authorities said he has a previous criminal history, but they did not specify.

Court documents reveal the suspect in the case as Logan Cox.

The court states it all started at Cypress Lounge, about five miles from Cox's home on Thorn Cypress - where that woman was seen, disheveled and begging for help.

Officials say the victim ran into Cox at the lounge. He's described as an old friend.

Documents show he asked her to get food, and she agreed on the condition it was just as friends since the victim was mourning the loss of her significant other.

Court records show while in the car, she realized he was not driving to get food. Instead, he told her they were going to his house.

Court documents state she made multiple attempts to escape, and he wouldn't let her go.

Officials said when they parked outside of his home, he carried her inside, pulled her by the hair, and slapped her multiple times before reportedly raping the victim.

She told law enforcement he only let her go after he demanded she brings her daughter to him to do the same to her.

The suspect, as of Monday night, sits in jail, waiting to see a judge. His first court appearance hasn't been set.

Court documents show the victim was taken to the hospital to be treated for bruises, scratches, and lacerations. Officials say she's also being examined for sexual assault.

For updates on this story, follow Daniela Hurtado on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.