4 mobile homes damaged or destroyed in large fire at community in N. Harris Co.

Courtney Fischer Image
Friday, June 16, 2023
Dead hydrants cause delay for firefighters battling mobile home flames
Extra firefighters responded to the scene in preparation for Friday's dangerous temperatures. Officials said dead hydrants at the mobile home village delayed extinguishing efforts.

HARRIS COUNTY, Texas (KTRK) -- At least one family lost everything when four mobile homes were scorched by a large fire in north Harris County on Friday morning.

The Little York Fire Department got a call from a passerby who said they saw smoke at 6:30 a.m.

SkyEye video from around 6:45 a.m. shows intense flames at Royal Coach Mobile Home Village on West Greens Road at Greens Crossing Boulevard, just west of Greenspoint Mall.

ABC13 could see the smoke from miles away as SkyEye flew toward the fire.

When firefighters arrived, they found two mobile homes engulfed by flames. They tried to get to work quickly, but had trouble establishing a water supply.

"All the hydrants in this trailer park were dead, so we had to get the water from Greens Road, which took a little longer than normal to get water set up," Deputy Chief James Cone said.

Cone said the dead hydrants delayed their extinguishing efforts by about seven or eight minutes.

In total, four homes were damaged or destroyed. The back wall of one of the homes was completely destroyed.

The mobile home where investigators said the fire started appeared to be vacant.

By 7:30 a.m., the fire was out but the heat was just kicking in. With the firefighters each wearing over 100 pounds of equipment on an Excessive Heat Warning day, extra crews were brought in to keep everyone safe.

"Well the air pack alone weighs 70 pounds. You're probably looking at another 70 or 80 pounds on the gear, so you're looking at over 100 pounds that they're hauling around just to fight the fire alone," Cone said. "And you have to pull all of these heavy hoses and all of that."

Thankfully, no injuries were reported and everyone evacuated safely before firefighters arrived.

The Harris County Fire Marshal's Office is investigating what sparked the flames.

For news updates, follow Courtney Fischer on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.