The winter pastime is back at the downtown Houston green space until Jan. 31, 2021.
Adding to the fun, figure skater Nancy Kerrigan even shared a message to Houstonians about the rink opening. You can see that in the video above.
But because we're still living in the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic, Discovery Green says it has added safety protocols and changed ticket-buying procedures.
- A reduced number of tickets will be sold to maintain social distancing. Tickets for a specific time must be purchased in advance online to ensure contactless buying and minimize overcrowding. Tickets went on sale Oct. 28.
- Skaters will be required to sign a waiver online after purchasing tickets. E-tickets won't be sent until the waiver is completed.
- All skaters must have a pre-purchased ticket to enter. Guests under the age of 12 may have one parent or guardian accompany them. But the person will be asked to stay in a public viewing area while the minor skates.
- Staff and skaters will be required to wear a mask at all times inside the venue. If you don't have a mask, one will be provided.
- Ice rink capacity will be restricted to 50%.
- Expanded seating areas to allow for social distancing while changing shoes and skates.
- Hand sanitizer will be available. Equipment and touchpoints will be sanitized at regularly scheduled intervals.
When can I go skate?
We're glad you asked! Check out the hours of operation below.
Thanksgiving Day: 11 a.m. - 11 p.m.
Christmas & New Year's Eve: 11 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Christmas & New Year's Day: 1 - 7 p.m.
HISD school holidays include: Nov. 23 - 27; Dec. 21 - 31; Jan. 1 - 3; Jan. 18
How much does it cost to ice skate at Discovery Green?
$15 admission, skate rental included
Cheap Skate Mondays: $8, skate rental included
Check the Discovery Green website for additional discounts, theme nights and other special events.
The ice rink may be closed or delayed at times due to weather conditions. Call 713.434.RINK (7465) for updates and check discoverygreen.com for closures and other delays.