11-year-old describes moment her father was shot to death in chilling 911 calls

Jessica Willey Image
Tuesday, October 10, 2017
Girl describes moment her father was shot to death
11-year-old describes moment her father was shot to death in chilling 911 calls

LEAGUE CITY, Texas (KTRK) -- An 11-year-old girl details the moment her father was shot to death in just-released 911 calls.

"Please send someone over right now, please," the girl pleaded with the operator on the night of June 28. "My mom's ex-husband, um. He, like, literally stalks us and he's at our house right now and I knew he would come on my birthday because it's all because of me. Just, please, come over here. Come over here as fast as you can."

The girl and her best-friend were still in the car in the driveway of the family's League City home on Mayhill Ridge Lane, watching the situation escalate from confrontation to murder. She called 911 as her mother was on the phone with them, too.

"He's my ex-husband. My name is Amanda Harris. I have an ongoing case against him. He's been told by the police to stay away. He's been trespassing. He's been stalking me for years," Harris told the operator about her ex-husband, Sayantan Ghose. The two divorced in December 2008.

The family had just arrived home to find Ghose at her door. Harris and her husband, Wayne Harris, grabbed their guns. A 17-year-old son made another 911 call from inside a closet where he was hiding with his 3-year-old sister.

"Stay in the closet. Stay hidden in the closet," the operator said to him. "I'm trying. I'm trying," he replied.

It didn't take long for things to get worse -- screaming followed the gunfire.

RELATED: Mom of suspect in League City shooting: 'Whatever he's done is totally wrong'

Mom of suspect in League City murder distances herself from her son.

"Get away from my gun. Get away from my gun," Amanda Harris is heard saying on her 911 call.

"I just heard gunshots. I just heard gunshots -- four or five," the 17-year-old told the operator.

"My dad's shot. My dad's shot," the girl relayed.

Wayne Harris was shot at least seven times and died. Amanda Harris, shot twice, survived. Ghose took off and was arrested the next day in New Mexico. He smiled for his mugshot when he was brought back to face charges for the murder and shooting. He remains in the Galveston County jail on a $1 million bond.

"How many times do you have to be told not to come to my house? We've been divorced since 2009. 2009!" Amanda Harris screamed at Ghose before the shooting.

Harris declined an interview but told Eyewitness News, "Seems like we all died that dreadful evening. We are so lost without him (Wayne Harris). He was such an amazing man, father and husband."

Report a typo to the ABC13 staff