Garage explosion injures one, firefighters save family pet

KTRK logo
Monday, August 18, 2014
EMBED <>More Videos

Fire crews say it appears the blast may have been caused by a leak of propane or oxygen from tanks in the garage

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A Harris County homeowner is lucky to be alive after a massive explosion leveled his garage and damaged his home Monday morning.

It happened around 6:49am at the 15100 block of Stonewick Drive in northwest Harris County.

According to the Harris County Fire Marshall's Office, firefighters saw flames coming from a detached garage and spreading to the house.

"The homeowner sustained injuries and burns as a result of the explosion and fire" said Lt. Dean Hensley with the Harris County Fire Marshal's Office. "He was transported by EMS to a hospital."

Investigators say it appears the explosion may have been caused by a leak of propane or oxygen from tanks in the garage. They theorize the homeowner attempted to light a cigarette near the garage, which triggered the explosion.

The homeowner was transported to a local hospital for treatment. But both the husband and the wife were concerned about the well-being of their family cat.

Firefighters found the cat unconscious near the explosion site. They used at oxygen mask and revived the cat. The cat is now being checked out at a local veterinarian's office.